Friday, 24 August 2012

If I Can't Swim, I Sink

"I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise" Reepicheep
"Please try not to drown." My Supportive Wife

My philosophy when doing a long distance run is to "start off slow and if necessary go slower." During my marathon I had to stop at the 20 mile mark. For the next two miles or so I was like a car that wouldn't start. I could jog for only a few metres and then had to stop. I can't do that when I'm swimming. If I stop, I sink.

The route of my marathon took me through the town of Windermere, where the townsfolk and no doubt a few tourists, lined the route. The thought of having to stop running in front of that support was enough to shame me into keep running. Perhaps the thought of drowning in front my family and well wishers will be enough to inspire me to keep swimming in a triathlon. Failing that I suppose I can always just "sink with my nose to the sunrise."

With the exception of a short jog to and from work, I did no training today.

No comments:

Post a Comment